Sign in to follow this  
ETR174

Mods for Raptor 80

9 posts in this topic

So for Christmas this year I got a 1993 Yamaha Banshee and I have a 2003 Raptor 80 that is now my sister's. She is 12 and me and my dad are talking about getting it parts to make it more powerful for the dunes. Back in 2010 I took it to Silver Lake Sand Dunes with my family in my dad's sand rail. I bought what I can remember are maybe Gecko sand paddles and it was struggling very much to keep up in the sand because of the engine. Is there any cheap mods you guys know of to make it more powerful without spending too much? All help will be gladly appreciated!

If she is 12 you probably need to get her a bigger quad. My son had his 80 from age 4 to age 10. His was a big bore (90cc), FMF pipe, clutch mod, added 4th gear, K&N filter, aluminum wheels, and better tires. It never did really get around good at the dunes. We had better luck with his Scorpion dirt tires than with paddles. The 80 even modded just doesn't have enough torque to get it up on the sand quickly. We spent more time digging my son out than we did riding. If I were you I would get a Raptor 250 or even a 350 and limit the throttle if need be. I put my son on my Raptor 350 in the spring of 2013 at 10 years old and he loved it. We had an offer we could not refuse to sell it so we did. I didn't want to go back to an in between size machine again so we bought him a 660. First thing we did was widen it a lot.

Alright sorry for the wait, I could possibly talk my dad into buying her a 250 or possibly a 125 but not a 350. She's pretty small (about 5'0") while I'm 6', perfect for my Banshee.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Actually, do you guys think a Blaster could do good on the dunes? There is this nice clean '95 for sale around here for $800. When I was riding my Banshee at the dunes this year this one guy had one with paddles popping wheelies by the beach and we actually raced once and I barely one because of my tires. Seems like it has some good power to it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

We had to have head lights and tail lights to ride at the dunes at night so that was what we came up with. The didn't light things up the greatest, but he wasn't riding overly fast either.