Sign in to follow this  
rappy'97

How-To: Wheelie Bar

17 posts in this topic

It's made out of 13/16" tubing, not chromoly. 14ga walls. It weighs somewhere around 6-7oz per foot. Whole bar weighs roughly 14lbs. Wheel is a 5x5 DWT .125 and the tire is a used Bridgestone 10" tall and about 4.5-5" wide (got it off eBay for $25)

My wheelbase is 62" or something like that. It's +12" over, +4 swinger and +8" arms. The bar is 64" long from center to center.

Bungs- http://www.ebay.com/itm/390246378553

2 large cone washers for subframe and 6 small ones for the pinch bolts and 2 for where the upper tubes connect to the lower. And obviously longer pinch bolts. 10" piece of 5/8" all-thread (found mine in a bin at our shop, that's why it's so nasty ) I think that's about it. You'll also need to punch out the threaded inserts that are most forward on the subframe, too, so you can put a 3/8" bolt through there.

null_zps74758f8c.jpg

null_zps93e38ed2.jpg

null_zps8cf83fd8.jpg

null_zps929e08c6.jpg

null_zpsc6897f8a.jpg

null_zps654c79eb.jpg

null_zps554ef9f2.jpg

null_zps9e095404.jpg

Time for a neck stretch!

null_zpsed6d607a.jpg

null_zps692ce540.jpg

null_zpsc789c261.jpg

All finished-

null_zpsafad3467.jpg

null_zps7176dd82.jpg

null_zps6ed6e63a.jpg

null_zpsb8eb1cb6.jpg

PM me if you need further info! Thanks!

Nice! Those "conical washers" are typically referred to misalignment spacers in the fab industry.

How does one go about deciding on a length for the bar?

Also if you used a right hand thread and a left hand thread heim and bung on the bar going up to the subframe you can adjust height like you would a tie rod. Just a thought :)

I see that thing flexing.. I would consider some triangulation between the upper and lower rails.

Looks good though.

Also if you used a right hand thread and a left hand thread heim and bung on the bar going up to the subframe you can adjust height like you would a tie rod. Just a thought :)

I used a left and right, works good if I need to adjust it a little!

Nice! Those "conical washers" are typically referred to misalignment spacers in the fab industry.

How does one go about deciding on a length for the bar?

Rule of thumb is 6" longer than your wheelbase.

I see that thing flexing.. I would consider some triangulation between the upper and lower rails.

Looks good though.[/quote

We would have, but it would be such a PITA to do that since it needs to be taken off every time to put it in the truck

Flexing on the wheelie bar helps soften the blow when you hit it.  If you have a little flex you won't unload the back tires as fast!  You unload the tires then its like drag racing in a front wheel drive car.  Lots of noise and spinning but going slow (typical Honda)