Sign in to follow this  
Xalos700r

How to break in a new engine?

13 posts in this topic

Most guys in this forum have broken in a engine after a rebuild or off a brand new bike, so how do you break it in? do you ride it like you stole it or are you easy on it?

Ive heard you need to break it in like you want it to run, if you want it to run hard then ride it hard.

Many ways to do it... 

We warn the bikes up to operating temp while varying rpm between 2500 and 4500 rpm roughly then shut down and check for leaks....

Let cool and then go right on the Dyno, starting at partial throttle pulls working up to full throttle pulls... by the time the tune is done the motor is ready to go

This is how I do it. I have a few friends that follow the same procedure and they have built some very high hp motors as in 2000+ hp big blocks. In theory if the engine is properly assembled with all the clearances being correct (rings, bearings, valves ect) a full throttle pass is not going to break the motor or hurt it at all. The rings are going to seat properly under high pressure caused from a full throttle pass. By taking it easy you run the risk of not having the rings fully seat and will cause a shorter engine life. ALWAYS make sure its up to operating temp before making a pass. I'll do one heat cycle first. Bring it up to normal operating temp and then shut it down and let it cool enough i can do a nut and bolt on it and check for leaks. As long as it good to go i start it back up let it get back to full temp and run it through the gears till it runs out of rpm's in each gear. I have always followed this with every engine, with the except of r/c (model) nitro engines, with no failures during break in process. Think abou t it. Top fuel dragsters and funny cars never get a break in at half throttle. True they some times fail but its never due to not being broke in gently.

I have a few friends that follow the same procedure and they have built some very high hp motors as in 2000+ hp big blocks.

Say what?!? That's a lot of ponies!!! What do those engines get run in then?

on mine after a rebuild i just let it warm up to operating temp. then shut off, check for leaks, reTQ head bolts. then ride the shit out of it.

I misunderstood what everybody meant by "break in", I thought I was just supposed to break it...forgot about the "in" part of that equation. 

I misunderstood what everybody meant by "break in", I thought I was just supposed to break it...forgot about the "in" part of that equation. 

I'm glad your able to joke about it. I might possiably be crying if I where in your position.

Say what?!? That's a lot of ponies!!! What do those engines get run in then?

Mainly a monster truck A rear mounted dragsters and one insane mud drag truck. On a side note. The friend that dose mud drags is not quite right an has more money then he knows what to do with from an inharatence. I could never invest that much money into a toy and put it in the mud. I'm talking a 6 figuer investment. Like i said he's a lil crazy..