Sign in to follow this  
rappy'97

Removing Stripped Subframe Bolts

3 posts in this topic

Figured I'd make a write-up on this since I though it may possibly help others and make it less of a hassle for some. It will make the job easier too if you put some ATF/Acetone mix on the bolt an hour or so prior to this.

What you need: A T50 to screw it up in the first place:lol: , a hammer, 10mm allen wrench, assortment of drill bits (I used 5/16" to 29/64"), a drill obviously, some WD-40 and/or Kroil.

What I did to remove it:

First, I put some WD-40 on the bolt head to lubercate for drilling, and started drilling with a 5/16" drill bit. Got it to the point where it was in a good enough amount so the bigger drill bits would drive somewhat straight and center.

Then, I kept spraying small amounts of WD on the head as I stepped up the drill bit sizes. Once you get to 29/64", stop going up in size.

Lastly, get your 10mm allen wrench, and beat on it to get it into the bolt tightly, it will be a very snug fit. If you used Kroil, ATF/Acetone mix, etc, for a bolt loosener, it should break loose rather easily. Good luck!

What mine looked like screwed up...

102_1249.jpg

Some of the things that you'll need...

102_1262.jpg

Part way through the drilling process...

102_1257.jpg

What you'll end up with...

102_1259.jpg

After the bolt is removed from the allen wrench. The black line is from the spot I marked around the bolt, it wasn't "submerged" very far into the bolt itself, and still came out with ease. Good luck getting the POS bolt out that Yamaha put in :lol: